TOEFL iBT® courses
The best option for your preparation!
Choose the option that best suits your needs
Our students access the best universities
Classroom course? online with teacher? online course? This is the question! Which modality will best suit my needs? Contact us and we will explain the differences.
Our students are our best guarantee!
The TOEFL course that I have taken at TLA this summer, I really liked and the teacher I had, I loved it. I have obtained the grade that I needed -105- to present in Erasmus and I want to recommend this course to those interested who are thinking of preparing. I recommend it.
When I started looking for a TOEFL course in June, this academy offered me to take the course online with a live teacher. At first I thought it would not be as practical as face-to-face, but it has been very useful and effective. I encourage other students to try it, it has worked very well for me.
In the month of July of this year I did an intensive TOEFL course and I have been very satisfied because I really liked my teacher, the structure and the tricks he has taught us. The note that I got from 110 is more than what I expected and it helps me to do a Master's degree. I want to thank TLA for the online course and for the attention received at all times.
What is the TOEFL?
The exam TOEFL iBT® is accepted by more than 11,500 universities and other institutions in more than 160 countries, including Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the United States, the United Kingdom, and throughout Europe and Asia.
This exam has 4 sections: reading, listening, speaking and writing. During the test, you will perform tasks that combine these 4 communication skills in English, such as:
- Read, listen, and then speak in response to a question
- Listen and then speak in response to a question
- Read, listen, and then write in response to a question
The total test lasts approximately 3 hours, but it is advisable to arrive 30 minutes before the official exam to register.
The reading section of the TOEFL iBT® is designed to assess how well you can read and understand the types of materials used in an academic setting. Includes 3-4 reading passages, each approximately 700 words, with 10 questions per passage. You have 54 to 72 minutes to answer all the questions.
The reading passages are excerpts from college-level textbooks like the ones you would use in a class. These passages cover a variety of different topics, with which you will not need to be familiar, since all the information necessary to answer the questions is within the passage itself. A glossary is available with definitions for unusual words, if you need one.
The listening section of the TOEFL iBT® is designed to measure your ability to understand conversations and lectures in English. It includes:
- Basic understanding.
- Pragmatic understanding (attitude of the speaker and degree of certainty) and connection and synthesis of information.
There are 2 types of audios in this section: lectures and conversations. Both in a university language.
- 3 to 4 lectures, each 3 to 5 minutes long, with 6 questions per lecture.
- 2 to 3 conversations with 2 speakers, each 3 minutes long, with 5 questions per conversation.
You can take notes on any audio throughout the test to help you answer the questions.
questions. You have 41 to 57 minutes to complete this section.
Oral expression section
The speaking section of the TOEFL iBT® is designed to measure your ability to speak English effectively in academic settings. It is made up of 4 tasks that resemble real life situations that you can find both inside and outside the classroom.
- Question 1 is called an “independent assignment” because it requires you to rely entirely on your own ideas, opinions, and experiences when answering.
- Questions 2-4 are called “integrated tasks” because they require you to combine your English language skills (listening and speaking, or listening, reading, and speaking) just as you would in or out of a classroom.
You will have between 15 and 30 seconds to read and prepare each question, and you will have to answer in 45 or 60 seconds.
This section lasts 17 minutes.
The writing section of the TOEFL iBT® is designed to measure your ability to write in English in an academic setting, and you should write your ideas in a clear and well-organized manner.
There are 2 writing tasks.
- Integrated assignment (20 minutes): you will have to read a short passage and listen to a short lecture, then write in response to what you read and heard.
- Independent task (30 minutes): you will have to write an essay based on your personal experience or opinion in response to a topic.
You will have 50 minutes to complete this section.